Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Very productive day!

Started out working on the data table, and fixed the little reference confusions from yesterday. From there went on to work with the luminosity comparison I've been doing. I'm very happy to report that they're all in a neat little table. I also played around with the where command and sorted my data. After so many error messages, I was very proud of my data sorting and my final luminosity comparison table.

After lunch, I talked to Beth about the distance calculation I'm going to be working on. It's a calculation to help determine the distances for M31 and MW satellites so that we can analyze M31 distances from the center of the galaxy to the satellite itself. Though it seems slightly daunting, I'm not too worried at this point. I have a feeling that while it may be frustrating for the next few days, it will be very satisfying by the end. Also talked about binary tables with Beth and Maya.

Also, I'm proud to say that every galaxy we have listed in our data table has RA and DEC values. Yay! I kind of feel like I'm just constantly adding bits and pieces to this data table; it feels really great to say that all of the RA and DEC values are in the table and accounted for.



things to do:
go over luminosities and source for systematic error
work new calculation
readings (2 journal articles and ch. 3 in book)

No comments:

Post a Comment