Friday, July 23, 2010

4th fake field simulation is a go!

Coming to my 4th and final field simulation. Yay!

This one is designed so we can have a wide range of star densities, and will be able to match up to the simiulations that Maya has been working on. All algorithm parameters stay the same, with stars/deg^2 ranging from 100-5000. The way this is set up, this means 52 different star simulations. The field size has also been expanded to 5 x 10. It's all set up and ready to go for the weekend!

Things to do in the next few days:

- fix the peak vs. max avg value
I edited my structure for my simfields2plots program so that smoothing length was included, so that I could color-code this graph by smoothing length. But I had to re-run the program, so once that is complete, I'll be able to finish fixing that graph.
- make those graphs for each trial, and include description of trial on graph

- debug cumulative histogram for max values for the 3rd trial
As of now, I have cumulative histograms for time and peak for smoothing length = 15.0. I need to fix the max graph, as the overplotting isn't working quite right. Make those histograms for sl = 5.0 and 30.0 as well.

- provide in-depth accurate descriptions of each of the trials in my latex doc.

- organize my directories, and make a notes file for each of them

- get together notes from this summer.
I started out with a handy lab notebook, but abandoned it after its encounter with the rain. Seeing Maya's notebook though really makes me want to compile some idl/unix/other useful notes so that I'll be able to turn back to it after this summer.


On a side note, I was feeling kind of frustrated this morning. Maybe it was cause I wasn't getting enough sleep or something, but today everything was just taking longer than it should have, and I kept making embarrassing idl mistakes that I knew I could have avoided. But on a peppier note, 2 really great things happened this week:

1) Got to check out the telescope with Gail and Marjon. So incredibly cool. Really makes me want to get involved with public observing next year, and I cannot wait to get comf0rtable learning how to use it. Also had a great time with both of them.

2) Had a wonderful talk with Beth. Super excited for next semester. It's going to be tough, but so so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment